STUDENTS EVOCATE

How can teachers teach students to evocate? How will this help their writing?

It’s done best in the PERFECT TENSE!

When I assign students to outline a story – challenge students to put ideas in order and build a narrative framework of a series of ideas – I tell them to brainstorm using verbs in the Present Perfect Tense: “I have lived in Florida for 40 years” immediately creates a summary statement that stimulates the student writer to think about those 40 years’ worth of memories and experiences that should be part of the storyline. Not only does it inspire student writers to evocate, the Present Perfect Tense sends a. message to readers that the author has a lot to share, that the essay or short story will be full of enthralling details. The Present Perfect Tense puts control of the narrative in the voice of the storyteller who has a wealth of experience to share.  It’s a very simple technique that works pretty well.

PS: This  video was produced using a program called “Videoscribe”. The company that markets the program is called ‘Sparkle’.

3 thoughts on “STUDENTS EVOCATE

1. Hi Art,

Thanks for sharing how you made that video. I have wondered how people do that! I will have to try it sometime.

Good tips about using tense too.

Keep up your great work with your blogging,
    Kathleen

• Kathlern:

Is a blog essentially a website? Is the URL of my blog, in essence, the same as any URL out there on the web? Can I insert a plug in for PayPal, for instance? Maybe I could monetize my AudioScribe designs.

• Hi Art,

Yes, a blog is just a website. Although it can be more personal and interactive due to the comments.

There is a PayPal donation plugin available for pro blogs. http://help.edublogs.org/paypal-donations-plugin/
        I can’t really give you advice about monetisation though. I’m not sure of the legalities of using a tool like VideoScribe in a commercial nature. I know many teachers who create their own things sell them on Teachers Pay Teachers but I’ve never tried it.

Kathleen